Planning and goal setting is by far the single most important element to online success. Without it you’re just a ship without a rudder floundering around the internet looking for something to do and jumping on every shiny new opportunity. I can’t even begin to tell you how many people I’ve seen make this critical mistake.
In fact, I made this mistake myself and it almost sunk me too.
Unless you’re already wealthy you probably have only a limited amount of time to figure affiliate marketing out before you run out of cash, resources, and patience. The easiest way to shorten the learning curve and accelerate your rate of success is to create a plan, install goals, adhere to strict deadlines, and stay on track until you get there.
Without a plan you’ll likely go down the path that most affiliate marketers take and that is unfocused experimentation in which nothing is actually followed through to completion and thus no real money is made. There are endless distractions in this business and the only way to avoid getting sidetracked is to have a focused goal, a plan, and the discipline to work your plan to completion.
If you won’t commit to this simple first step of setting your goals and writing them down there is no need for you to go any further. It’s that important! Please learn from my mistake of not doing this in the past. It’s so vital.
Again, please do not make the critical mistake of dismissing this step! If you don’t set goals for yourself, and review and adjust them on a daily basis, you will fail. Period.
“The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don’t define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them.” ~ Denis Waitley
1. Keep it simple – start with an income target you wish to reach for:
- the first 30 days (breaking even is a good place to start in your first thirty days)
- the 1st calendar year
- the 2nd calendar year
- where you want to be in 5 years
2. Write your goals down in a journal, legal pad, or calendar. Do not type them into a word document on your computer. Why?
Neuroscience has proven that when you write something down on paper that takes deep thought (such as your goals) you build over 10,000 new neural pathways in your brain in one sitting. This compared to only building 600 new neural pathways when you type something on your computer.
In layman’s terms this means that writing your goals down gives you a much deeper emotional attachment that will help you keep your goals at the forefront of your mind. That also means that you have a significantly better chance to achieve your goals than those that just type them out on a computer.
3. Set your goals using the SMART formula:
4. Set aside about 30 minutes to an hour in a quiet place without distractions. No phones, people, or televisions. Make sure to include the reasons why you want to be a successful affiliate marketer. Get as specific as possible. What will you use the money for? You need specific reasons, a deep desire, and a personal commitment to reach your goals.
5. Take 15 minutes every morning to read, edit, and update your goals. Repetition is the mother of skill. Nothing replaces repetition and creating momentum like doing something each day to get you a little closer to your goals.
Most “impossible” goals can be met simply by breaking them down into bite size chunks, writing them down, believing them, and then going full speed ahead as if they were routine. – Don Lancaster